Best Linux Os for a VERY low spec media center pc.

Support for *nix systems, apache, mysql, etc

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Best Linux Os for a VERY low spec media center pc.

Postby danupsher » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:40 am

ive got a pc, that is going to connect to my TV in my room.

Specs:

CPU: 600mhz amd
Graphics: GeForce Nvidia FX5200
MB: Microstar 6191 Motherboard
HD: 120gb maxtor
Ram: 128mb

These are just bits i had lying around
Ive still got too buy a wireless card.

All the computer has to do, is play videos and play songs. And it has to be connected to my network wirelessly.

What is the best os i can use for this machine. :) (im thinking maybe dmansmalllinux? with a media addon, if that exists?
danupsher
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Old school redhat like version 7.3 would work perfectly on that.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby danupsher » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:44 pm

oh yea, i never even thought about using an old version.

cheers. Would the old redhat find a wireless card tho?
danupsher
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:41 pm

It should. I don't see why not.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:08 pm

An old version of Red Hat would work with a wireless card; but i'm sure it would take some configuring.
Mod
Mod

Postby danupsher » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:50 pm

*EDIT by 127* Sorry danupsher, I accidently edited your post. :?

He originally said in this post that he could not get his X Server running in Red Hat 7.3. He said he tried to install the nvidia drivers with wget but kept getting a 404 error.
danupsher
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:23 pm

Try this danupsher:

Sorry again for the above edit.

Also I'm curious if Red Hat is recognizing your wireless card. Type as root iwconfig and ifconfig. See if your wireless card is listed. If it isn't post dmesg as well as lsmod. I have a feeling you'll have to download and compile a newer 2.6 kernel for wireless support.
Mod
Mod

Postby danupsher » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:51 am

i tried that wget, but still got a 404.

Im not using the wireless card at them moment. Just a normal wired connection. And i am 100% sure my connection is working, because i can wget google.com and it saves the index.html to my computer.

Do you think i will have problems with a wireless card aswell? If so maybe i should try a newer distro. what is the most a 600mhz cpu can take?
danupsher
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Well I don't know what to tell you; I copied and pasted the above syntax into my xterm here and it works for me. The only thing I can think is that maybe your version of wget is too old to resolve the URL.

You'd be surprised, a 600MHz CPU is still fast enough to run newer distros (your real bottleneck is your RAM). It doesn't really matter what distro you use because any distro can be stripped down. If you want the distro to be super easy to use (most hardware working out of the box) I would suggest Xubuntu. It is Ubuntu but uses the XFce desktop which is considerably lighter than KDE or Gnome. Xubuntu is even designed to run well on older hardware.

Now if you want my personal recommendation I would suggest Slackware 10.2. Slackware is light and fast; good for old hardware or new. If you do go with slack you'll get newer packages while keeping the bloat at bay. Of course if you go with this option you should be prepared to do many things from the command line manually. For example to get a wireless card working in slackware you will probably want to compile a newer 2.6 based kernel. Sounds bad, but it really isn't. In the end though once you get everything setup slackware is my perfect distro.

To sum it up I bet your version of wget is too old. Either try upgrading wget or get a newer distro. I think I should also point out if you do stay with RH 7.x I wouldn't connect it to the internet until you really harden it and apply many updates. RH 7.3 is old and vulnerable, you really should apply security updates if you want to use it online. Of course if your just going to use it on your LAN you don't really need to worry about anything. Let us know what distro you decide to use, and if you run into any problems.
Mod
Mod

Return to Unix/Linux