Preferred terminal

Support for *nix systems, apache, mysql, etc

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Preferred terminal

Postby DnH500 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:42 pm

heh theres several out there such as konsole, gnome terminal, xterm, yeahconsol, eterm (enlightenments terminal) and more. Interested to see what everyone prefers. 8) I like the gnome terminal since its a little faster than konsole.
DnH500
Jr Admin

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:49 pm

I like xterm, it's by far faster than both gnome terminal and konsole in X. Of course my favorite console environment is the tty's 8)

What is your favorite desktop environment/window manager dnh? Personally I like fluxbox, once you get used to it everything else seems bloated.

Or how about the constant debate; vi or emacs? Personally I like vi because I don't run X on my servers. Plus in all honesty it's quicker to tell a computer what to do in one command than fumbling around with a bunch of menu's and dialogue boxes trying to find obscure options.
Mod
Mod

Postby DnH500 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:05 am

127.0.0.1 wrote:I like xterm, it's by far faster than both gnome terminal and konsole in X. Of course my favorite console environment is the tty's 8)

What is your favorite desktop environment/window manager dnh? Personally I like fluxbox, once you get used to it everything else seems bloated.

Or how about the constant debate; vi or emacs? Personally I like vi because I don't run X on my servers. Plus in all honesty it's quicker to tell a computer what to do in one command than fumbling around with a bunch of menu's and dialogue boxes trying to find obscure options.

When i first started playing around in linux i had KDE but these days its gnome with xgl. Xfce and fluxbox are very good. I like Enlightenment too its a different X window manager compared to gnome and kde for example you can reduce windows to an icon which is orginal and cool.

Vi or emacs hhhmmm I think vi or vim is just quicker to use once you get to know some vi commands 8)
DnH500
Jr Admin

Return to Unix/Linux