I am new here, can someone please help

Support for all versions of windows (95, 98, 2000, XP, 2003)

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

I am new here, can someone please help

Postby mariesue66 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:03 pm

I was wondering if Windows Vista is worth getting. I heard there are still many problems with Vista. I want to get a new pc, but not sure if I should get one with XP or Vista. I have found some places that still have XP.
mariesue66
n00b
n00b

Re: I am new here, can someone please help

Postby shifty » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Personally I love Vista. Unless you really know what you're doing, you're going to need it in order to run any type of DirectX10 games.
If you buy a new consumer PC, you will have to clean out all the bloat software they pre-load them with in order to get Vista to run halfway
decent, even on the faster quad core systems with 3+GB of ram. If you have alot of older software you need to run on your computer
however, you might not bother with Vista. Where most of it should work fine, there's still alot of programs that simply do not run/install in
Vista, even when using Compatibility modes, and running as an Administrator. As far as Microsoft Office goes however, Vista works with Office
2000, 2003, and 2007. The only problem it has with Office 2k is with Outlook. If you're looking for a basic workstation, you shouldn't have a
problem with XP or Vista but if you're looking for a gaming PC, games do take a hit in Vista but in the long run it's worth it. Best advice I could
give you though, is to hold off on a new PC until Windows 7 comes out if possible.
shifty
n00b
n00b

Postby mariesue66 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks so much for the information. I guess I will give Vista a try. I will keep one of my other computers just in case. I may as well move ahead, instead of being behind. I am sure there will be more and better things in the future for Vista.
mariesue66
n00b
n00b

Postby shifty » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:37 pm

Well what you could do first, is see if you have any friends that have a copy of Windows Vista, and use their installation disc.
If you don't put in a product key, it lets you evaluate it for 30 days. If you don't like it in those 30 days, re-format the computer,
and put XP on it. If you don't have any problems and you like what you see, purchase a license to activate it with.
shifty
n00b
n00b

Return to Windows