Radeon 4870 x2 2gb graphics cards

Any questions about any type of hardware go here.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Radeon 4870 x2 2gb graphics cards

Postby n3wtonfire » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:31 am

Ok, So I have 2 of the Radeon 3870 512MB cards right now. I was thinking about maybe upgrading to one or mayb two of the Radeon 4870 x2 2gb cards because of all the hype that I keep hearing about them. I just had a few questions that all of the reviews I read couldn't answer because I don't know all that much about graphics card specs.

1.) Is it worth it? I read that they haven't released a CCC update that makes using two of them in crossfire not worth spending the money on the second one.
2.) I have a 750w power supply that powers the two cards I have right now and I was wondering if it would be powerful enough to power 2 of the 4870 x2 2gb cards. Or if I would need to upgrade to a more powerful power supply.
3.) It says that it needs a 6pin and an 8 pin power cable to hook up to one of the cards to work properly.I was wondering if, when using two of them in crossfire, I need to have a 6 pin and an 8 pin power cable for each card.

If anyone that knows a good deal on these cards could provide me with some insight or give me a good comparison on Nvidia cards because I'm pretty much either way with video cards I would greatly appreciate it.
n3wtonfire
n00b
n00b

Return to Hardware