Building a new computer

Any questions about any type of hardware go here.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Building a new computer

Postby mcgodx » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but not SO new to computers. I'll admit I don't know so much about modern hardware (I thought that my laptop was pretty good but compared to stuff out now... wow). Anyways, I have it pretty much narrowed down to what I want, I believe, but I was looking for some input. It's a fair amount of money (for me anyways) so I don't want any frills, like LEDs, light tubes, etc.

I know what monitor, CPU, and case I want. I have a good idea on the other stuff I want, but I was looking for advice, and answers.

I picked out the Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe, which is clocked at 3.0GHz.
The motherboard I was liking was the Intel DX38BT (found here). I like it for how cheap it is, and DDR3 support.
The RAM I picked out was 4GB of Patriot DDR 3 1333 RAM which I was wondering about. I heard someone say that the Intel boards are picky about the RAM you use. Is this true?
I was thinking about getting two ATI Radeon HD 3870s in crossfire configuration, when I realized how cheap they can be. I was originally looking at a single 8800GTS, but figured that two of the ATIs is almost as cheap.

I chose a 650W power supply, figuring that it is plenty of power for what I have (in addition to that I picked out a blu ray drive, a dvd drive, a hard drive, and that's about it).

Also just wondering if this RAM problem was actually real. Thanks
mcgodx
n00b
n00b

Return to Hardware