Customer Information Management System

Post your current custom computer projects here.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Customer Information Management System

Postby Daeva » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:56 pm

I work for a computer consultant who needs to have a database developed to track customer invoices as well as technical documentation like service packs, server information and network topologies. I'm currently working on an application i've dubbed RITCIMS for Raymond IT Group Inc Customer Infomation Management System. It uses Microsoft SQL Server for data access, and is one of the most extensive databases i've ever developed. It's by far one of the biggest applications i've ever developed. I'm still a beginner, but the application so far is highly sophisiticated and provides a usable interface for my boss where he can go in an update client information like mailing address, and it gets so specific as to him being able to add different subnets on certain networks and enable/disable static ip address ranges, to printing invoices and creating pdf's. All done in VisualBasic.NET and ASP.NET 2.0 with some help from the ajax toolkit 1.0 until I better understand Ajax. I may be able to post some screen shots, but i really can't open it up to the public for security reasons.
Daeva
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:56 pm

Why is it built on VB if you're looking for security?
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Daeva » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am

To be completely honest(which sometimes makes you look dumb), the only other language i know fluently is java, and I haven't been able to get java to work very well with the interface (not that I tried for very long). Primarily I use vb because it's is what I learned on. Microsoft doesn't like to play nice with sun :)
Daeva
n00b
n00b

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:21 pm

I have to agree writing something in VB "with security in mind" is a bit of a joke.
What exactly do you mean "Microsoft doesn't like to play nice with sun"? One of the best things about Java is it's cross platform capabilities...
Mod
Mod

Postby Daeva » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 am

Well also, I didn't really think the language mattered all that much because C#, C++, and VB all compile to the CLR. C# and VB just seem to be the best choices when working with a microsoft proprietary software and language (Visual Studio 2005). Again though, I haven't really played with java in visual studio. I'm still a little lacking in web applications of java, most of what i've done has been strictly client-side java via the command prompt and a good amount of swing components and event driven applications. That is one of the best things about java, but Microsoft, since their big lost lawsuit with sun has taken just about every step they can to make it difficult for java to run on microsoft products.
Daeva
n00b
n00b

Return to Projects