anyway to block File Upload / Attach button in Windows IE?

Support for network scanners, packet sniffers, etc. New versions, tips, config files, and options.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

anyway to block File Upload / Attach button in Windows IE?

Postby fenixus » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 am

Hi,

I am looking for either hardware or software monitoring/preventive solution, so some users in Small company (Windows domain) cannot upload any files to Internet or at least such files would be tested for forbidden file extensions.

anyone knows what would be the best for such purpose?
fenixus
n00b
n00b

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Mod
Mod

well, not sure, what I need in details

Postby fenixus » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:15 pm

unsure if Sharepoint will give me what I need.

To be more specific I can say that some designers in our company work locally on CAD files and share them over the LAN (windows domain controlled by w2k3 & w2k servers).
Since all of them have internet access, I am looking for some security tool that would block them from uploading such files into Internet due to security measures of our company (all such files need to stay inside the company). still they would need access to such files locally and over the LAN.
fenixus
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:21 pm

a simple firewall like zonealarm pro can be programmed to do that.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

ZA 4.5 Pro doesn't do the trick

Postby fenixus » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 pm

kostyanj wrote:a simple firewall like zonealarm pro can be programmed to do that.

well, I looked through ZA Pro 4.5 and all what I can find is inbound attachment filtering and outbound security features (e.g. too many emails sent at once, too many recipents and sender's (!?) address exclusion list).

I am looking for outbound attachment filtering.
Can you be more specific which personal firewall software I should focus my efforts on?

Thanks!
fenixus
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:06 pm

It's been a while since I've done anything like this. Assuming you have all the users on the domain, you can set up a domain policy to restrict access to the internet (certain websites, certain times).

I need to look up the steps again, but I'll research and let u know.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

OK

Postby fenixus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:25 pm

OK, thanks, I would appreciate it very much.
fenixus
n00b
n00b

back to the main idea

Postby fenixus » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:49 pm

However besides filtering outbound email attachments there is also another issue somehow linked to it but not directly.

Since almost everyone in company uses internet, so all users can access either a webmail or some other file storage services that could allow them to smuggle out some potentially important information out of the company.
I think that creating GPO blacklisting only the most popular webmails e.g. yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc. is not an issue here, because there will be always some other webmail service (e.g. in another country) that internet users can access.

The main question would be if there is ANY way to disallow windows domain users to even click IE buttons like Browse, File Upload, Attach file, etc.
I think only above would successfully patch the security hole. but is it possible... and how? perhaps there is some preferences/policy setting that could do the trick....
waiting for news from you guys :)
fenixus
n00b
n00b

Return to Security Software