Slow transfer speeds

Discussion of networking components such as routers, hubs, switches, gateways, etc.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Slow transfer speeds

Postby blcArmadillo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:20 am

I'm doing a network for a small business. All the computers are on a domain and the domain controller is running on the server. I'm also trying to setup Active Directory so that users can login to their account at any of the six workstations in the building. However, for some reason I'm only getting ~46kb/s transfer rates across the network which is obviously pathetic. Consequently, Active Directory is impossible to do right now as there is no way to sync large amounts of files with such a slow transfer speed. I've included in the image below a rough sketch of how the network is laid out. Do any of you have any ideas as to why everything is going so slow?

blcArmadillo
n00b
n00b

Re: Slow transfer speeds

Postby aingaran » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:16 am

It seems like all the Windows XP PCs are trying to share files with the Server which indicates you have to increase the bandwidth between the Server and the "UNMANAGED SWITCH". check with "Dell PowerConnect switch" & the Server NIC interfaces cards capability to support 1000 BASE TX, so it can support 1 Gbps bandwidth between switch & Server.
aingaran
n00b
n00b

Return to Networking