Wireless Networking Problems

Discussion of networking components such as routers, hubs, switches, gateways, etc.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Wireless Networking Problems

Postby Chaky » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 am

Ok, I can't figure it out, please someone else help if you know what to do. I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and Wireless G USB network adapter. My host computer is using Windows XP and there is no problems. My downstairs computer, which I'm trying to connect to the internet, is running on Windows ME. My problem is, the client computer downstairs IS recieving a signal from the Router just fine, but I cannot get the internet! I've tryed setting it up in Internet Options under Tools, tried setting it up using XP's wireless networking program setup thingy for when your setting up a wireless network. Nothing works. And I'll state the problem again. Windows ME computer is recieving a signal from the Router, but I can't get the internet to work. Its not Windows XP firewall upstairs, because we've tried that. Also, a friend of mine brought his laptop over, and connected to my router in like 3 seconds, and was playing WoW and going on the internet. I've lost almost all for this computer. I believe the problem is dealing with my OS, so please someone help! :wink: :cry:
Chaky
n00b
n00b

Re: Wireless Networking Problems

Postby shifty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:01 am

Is the Windows ME computer obtaining an ip address and resolving the dns?

Go to Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all

If it is showing a connection, try installing/using firefox, and setting the connection properties
to automatically obtain settings. If this works, you are obviously just having an issue with
internet explorer and may have spyware/viruses on the system. This is more common on
older versions of internet explorer, and may not necessarily affect firefox in the same way (believe
it or not, firefox does often work at times when internet explorer cannot).
shifty
n00b
n00b

Return to Networking