Question about wireless routers

Discussion of networking components such as routers, hubs, switches, gateways, etc.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Question about wireless routers

Postby bx0520 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, so be gentle please. :)

So I am finally looking forward to completely scrapping my old P3 and getting a new computer this boxing day. I also want to get a wireless router along with it. I don't have much knowledge in this area so I thought, why not consulting the expertise of the online forum?

So here's what I want to know: is there a specific brand or type of wireless router that I would have to use to be compatible with my new system or would any of them that I pick off the shelf do?

PC: HP Pavilion m8120n Media Center TV Desktop

All it says on the specifications page is "Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g". And from reading other sites, I found out its supposed to be 54Mbps. :?

So please help me out by telling me if there's a specific router to use, I want to just get one that works.

Thanks in advance. :D
bx0520
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:01 pm

Although some people will argue this, for a home setup most brands of wireless routers will do the job. I would suggest going with a Linksys or D-Link or Buffalo, but that's up to you. Apple makes some good products as does Microsoft. Don't be tricked into buying Pre-N or any of the other bs products out there. Just get something that b/g ready.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Return to Networking