How do i enable my default nework adapter?? Wireless instld.

Discussion of networking components such as routers, hubs, switches, gateways, etc.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

How do i enable my default nework adapter?? Wireless instld.

Postby boejurris » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:25 pm

Ok, so i bought a computer off a good friend of mine. Before i bought it he installed a wireless adapter. I just want to use the regular ethernet wires and whatever. He said that i have to go in to the Bios and set up the original Network Adapter. My brother even told me that it would be there in the Bios. I live in Florida now and he is in New York. We tried to figure this thing out over the phone but its not workin. What do i need to do to get this to work with out having to buy a wireless router??

Also, we tried to boot it up with system restore.... not sure if that was wise.... NOW all the comp does is restart itself once it gets to the screen where it tells me "The system was not shut down correctly..." "Please select how you would like to boot up the system" or somethin like that...

First off... how can I set up the Network Adapter??

Second... why was it restarting itself over and over??

Sorry if this is confusing... if you need more info please let me know...

I did write down some stuff to see if that would help...

Pheonix - AwardBIOS v6.00pg???? (BIOS program?)

im running off of windows xp pro ver. 2002 i believe

intel(r)
pentium 4 cpu 3.00GHz
3.00 GHz, 1.00 GB ram
boejurris
n00b
n00b

What I would do...

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:53 am

Is the Ethernet card built into the motherboard or is it installed in a pci slot? I ask because if it's integrated into the motherboard you may have it simply disabled in the BIOS. If you could still get into Windows I'd ask you to check Device Manager to tell me how many devices under "network adapters" it detects. If it didn't even list the wired nic here and you had no unknown devices I would bet it's disabled in the BIOS.

Now as for the restarting itself "issue". The first thing I would try would be to try booting up into safe mode and try a system restore (hold F8 at startup to get into safe mode). If the system restore didn't work I would then try booting off my Windows CD and do a "repair" of my installation.
Mod
Mod

Re: What I would do...

Postby boejurris » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 pm

127.0.0.1 wrote:Is the Ethernet card built into the motherboard or is it installed in a pci slot? I ask because if it's integrated into the motherboard you may have it simply disabled in the BIOS.
\

He disabled the Ethernet card from the BIOS screen he told me. He just doesnt remember how to re-enable it. None of the choices that come up on the BIOS rings a bell to him. I am not that computer literate to know what I'm looking at.

Now the restart issue began when I tried to do the system restore. I can't get into Windows now I get this ERROR-

c0000221 unknown hard error
\systemRood\system32\ntdll.dll

any idea????
boejurris
n00b
n00b

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Mod
Mod

Postby RJ12 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Do You Have A Ethernet Adapter Under The Device Manager If You Do Goto Control Panel And Then Open Network and Click The Ethernet Goto Go PM Me For More Info
RJ12
n00b
n00b

Return to Networking