war drivers & pay phones

War driving, phreaking, etc.

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

war drivers & pay phones

Postby epikal » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:45 pm

can someone explain to me what this is? .. ive never heard of it

and can you really record the sound of change dropping and replay it to the pay phone for a free call?
epikal
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:39 pm

War driving is picking up wireless networks from outside.

Back in the early days of big telecom companies, like 60's - 80's, you were actually able to record the frequency of sound of change dropping into a payphone to make free calls. But not anymore, with more advanced technology of telecom companies, it doesn't work anymore.
Last edited by kostyanj on Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Firest0rm » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:41 pm

Is war driving the same as war dialing only one is wireless and the other is down the fone line?
Firest0rm
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:37 pm

well here's the best definition I could find:

War driving is the act of locating and possibly exploiting connections to wireless local area networks while driving around a city or elsewhere. To do war driving, you need a vehicle, a computer (which can be a laptop), a wireless Ethernet card set to work in promiscuous mode, and some kind of an antenna which can be mounted on top of or positioned inside the car. Because a wireless LAN may have a range that extends beyond an office building, an outside user may be able to intrude into the network, obtain a free Internet connection, and possibly gain access to company records and other resources.
Some people have made a sport out of war driving, in part to demonstrate the ease with which wireless LANs can be compromised. With an omnidirectional antenna and a geophysical positioning system (GPS), the war driver can systematically map the locations of 802.11b wireless access points. Companies that have a wireless LAN are urged to add security safeguards that will ensure only intended users have access. Safeguards include the use of the Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption standard, the setup and use of a virtual private network (VPN) or IPsec, and a firewall or DMZ.

The term derives from a somewhat similar approach to breaching the telephone system called war dialing.

kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:30 pm

Back in the early days of big telecom companies, like 60's - 80's, you were actually able to record the frequency of sound dropping into a payphone to make free calls. But not anymore, with more advanced technology of telecom companies, it doesn't work anymore

The phone design that prevents this is called FORTRESS II. It disables the telephone reciever mike until the actual phone call connects.

Just a little tidbit :wink:
Ice
n00b
n00b

Postby insecurepc » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:26 pm

The phone design that prevents this is called FORTRESS II. It disables the telephone reciever mike until the actual phone call connects.

So what methods are telephone places still vulnerable to today? I never heard off someone successfully hacking a switch.
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby internetsavant » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:26 pm

aside form the explanation above wardriving in laman's terms would be:

driving around with ur laptop and a wireless card (set in promiscuous mode) actively looking for wireless networks. coming across one and attemting to either break into the router/switch, computers behind the router/switch, or to crack the encryption/authentication algorithm associated with it.

btw, this is too much fun. i'd advise for anyone looking for a good time. the best part is when they make their SSID something glaringly recognizable for demographics and you walk up to their door and tell them that you've compromised their system. =P
internetsavant
n00b
n00b

Postby virus » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:31 pm

would it be considered war driving if you come across open wireless connections (while driving) with no password and use that connection or is it just when you come across one that has a password for certain people only.

this might be crazy talk but hey
virus
Level 3 Tech

Postby TOP1yuiop » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:37 pm

lol it would be like "borrow driving". "Can I borrow your internet connection?" lol.
TOP1yuiop
Network Administrator
Network Administrator

Postby virus » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:46 pm

borrow driving? thats funny.............thanks for answering my question
virus
Level 3 Tech

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:38 pm

and if a wireless network has encryption use airsnort to get around this... may take some time... but it WILL work.
Mod
Mod

Postby lbreevesii » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:33 am

in the FORTRESS II systems where the mic is off until connection, there is a way to make the mic turn on(used to be may not be true today). ahh...the many uses of a nail and a paper clip...but they've changed their systems in most places so that they don't use the system of internal tones to tell the phone company when money is deposited.
lbreevesii
Level 3 Tech

Postby fred333 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:02 am

I will have to try that war driving out. Sounds like a good time.
fred333
n00b
n00b

Return to Physical Exploits