PHP validation better then java script ?

Everything having to do with programming, all languages (VB, C/C++, C#, HTML, JAVA, PHP, etc)

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

PHP validation better then java script ?

Postby jack1983 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:06 am

Hi,
I use PHP validation for my sites it is better then java script validation ?
jack1983
n00b
n00b

Re: PHP validation better then java script ?

Postby Daeva » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 am

Ideally, you should use both. The PHP validation is necessary. Here are several scenarios.
Functional:
I'm browsing your site and filling out your form, but I have Javascript disabled (or i'm attempting to gain access to your site, or hack it so I did this on purpose).
-In this case, if you lack PHP validation, you're going to get junk data in your database or you're going to compromise your users (look-up: Sql Injection).
I'm browsing your site and filling out your form, with Javascript enabled, but you don't have php validation.
-Lets say you make a mistake in the Javascript, or you haven't accounted for XSS (Cross site Scripting). This will again leave you vulnerable.
I'm browsing your site and filling out your form, with Javascript enabled and you have PHP validation.
-Best scenario. Regardless of whether or not the user has Javascript enabled your PHP validation will catch it.

In addition to that, the Javascript validation will make the user's life easier because you can provide them with visual feedback before they click the submit button, which will save them from an unnecessary postback. Red asterisks next to invalid fields, message boxes, etc...
Daeva
n00b
n00b

Return to Programming