Encrypted Files Are Not Working Help!

Discussion on encryption, data integrity, passwords, etc

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Encrypted Files Are Not Working Help!

Postby Botbonker » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:00 am

Well i run windows xp pro and i encrypted a bunch of filest and i formated the computer and it uses your certificate to encrypt and since i formated its gone so the only thing i found was the crap below but it dosent work the same as the help files says it will and so i figured it was a best bet to see if i can get some more knowledgeable people to help if you can help it would really be appreciated

To add a recovery agent for the local computer
Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then click Add.
Under Add Standalone Snap-in, click Group Policy, and then click Add.
Under Group Policy Object, make sure that Local Computer is displayed, and then click Finish.
Click Close, and then click OK.
On the console tree, click Public Key Policies.
Where?

Local Computer Policy
Computer Configuration
Windows Settings
Security Settings
Public Key Policies
In the details pane, right-click Encrypted Data Recovery Agents.
Click Add, and then follow the instructions in the Add Recovery Agent wizard.
Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
Adding a recovery agent from a file identifies the user as USER_UNKNOWN. This is because the name is not stored in the file.
Before you can add or create a recovery agent, you must configure Group Policy on your computer. For more information about using Group Policy, see Related Topics.
In the Add Recovery Agent Wizard, be prepared to provide the wizard with the user name for a user with a published recovery certificate. Alternatively, you can use the wizard to browse for .cer files that contain information about the recovery agent you are adding.
Botbonker
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:24 am

What happens when you follow those steps?
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Botbonker » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:17 am

i follow steps and its different then steps tell you i can add a recovery agent but its not an encryption recovery agent so i figured o well i wont quiver over details so i add just recovery agent and it wants a encryption recovery certificate and i cant even find any certificates at all so i cant go any further
Botbonker
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:19 pm

kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Botbonker » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:37 pm

i got alot further than i did but still no go it just says access denied i added the certificates installed the pfx files for all users on the computer and it diddent work the second pic i can have a recovery agent and add certificates but with the ones i already encrypted allows a certificate to be added but i get this error on second pic

Botbonker
n00b
n00b

Re: Encrypted Files Are Not Working Help!

Postby Mirey86 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:58 am

try to recover with some file recovery software.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

is a good freeware
n00b

Return to Encryption