modem not working

Misc computer stuff

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

modem not working

Postby tmm5899 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:15 pm

my friend has a computer but it won't let him connect to the internet i ran a pc wizard here are the results what could be wrong
PC Wizard 2008 Version 1.80
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: BEACON AVENUE FOOD BANK
Organisation: FOOD BANK/RAYMOND
User: RAYMOND FRAZIER
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600
Report Date: Thursday 21 April 2011 at 23:58

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<System>>>

> Mainboard : Asus P2B-F

> Chipset : Intel i440BX/ZX

> Processor : Intel Pentium III @ 550 MHz

> Physical Memory : 128 MB (2 x 64 SDRAM )

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp Riva TNT GUI+3D Accelerator [NV4]

> Hard Disk : Maxtor (6 GB)

> CD-Rom Drive : ATAPI CD-RW 52XMax

> DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax

> Monitor Type : COMPAQ FX700 - 16 inches

> Network Card : 3COM Corp, Networking Division 3C905B Fast Etherlink XL 10/100

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

***** End of report *****
what can i do to fix the problem when i go in an look it shows a yellow circle with a black mark the computer has windows xp professional installed on it
tmm5899
n00b
n00b

Modem

Postby City PC » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:13 am

Thanks for th epost. Good question. To assist you further, I would need to know a bit more information.

First, on what DEVICE (dial-up modem or Network Interface Card) does the little yellow circle with a black mark show up on?

Second, when you RIGHT CLICK, select Properties, on that device in your Device Manager, what does the Device Status message say?

The little yellow circle that you are describing indicates that a device driver is not installed, or that the device has malfunctioned.

Please reply with answers to the two questions above. I can then assist you further.
City PC
n00b
n00b

Hello

Postby compnerd » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:09 am

you are not using right modem driver or try to change pci slot for modem
compnerd
n00b
n00b

Easy sollution again

Postby oldtimer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Call his ISP Tech support.
Get another modem.
He does pay someone doesn't he ? :wink:
oldtimer
Level 3 Tech

modem not detected

Postby tmm5899 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:41 pm

i replaced the modem and using firefox web browser because internet explorer 6.0 asks for a content advisor password which i do not know if i updated internet explorer to 7 how would i uninstall internet explorer 6.0 the operating system is windows xp professional. firefox keeps saying server can not find and then it gives an example of what web page i am trying to go to what can i do to fix it. the other card that was in the computer was an ethernet card which looked like a modem because the slot was big enough for the phone line to go into :cry:
tmm5899
n00b
n00b

Re: modem not detected

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:01 pm

tmm5899 wrote:i replaced the modem and using firefox web browser because internet explorer 6.0 asks for a content advisor password which i do not know if i updated internet explorer to 7 how would i uninstall internet explorer 6.0 the operating system is windows xp professional. firefox keeps saying server can not find and then it gives an example of what web page i am trying to go to what can i do to fix it. the other card that was in the computer was an ethernet card which looked like a modem because the slot was big enough for the phone line to go into :cry:

"Updateing to 7" is an automatic overwrite of 6.0,but shut down your
IExPlorer and Firefox Browser and other tasks and save it to the desktop to run and update.RESTART YOUR COMPUTER and run IEx 7.
So update to 7 for it's newer features,and maybe fix your problem.
Once again: Your server will direct you to a 1 user customer or a no password user.
Why not forget about Firefox,at least for now.?
:wink:
oldtimer
Level 3 Tech

Remove passwords

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:14 pm

I just located how to.
Do you want the steps to do it ?
Install 7 first.
:D
oldtimer
Level 3 Tech

Re: modem not detected

Postby userfriendly » Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 pm

tmm5899 wrote:i replaced the modem and using firefox web browser because internet explorer 6.0 asks for a content advisor password which i do not know if i updated internet explorer to 7 how would i uninstall internet explorer 6.0 the operating system is windows xp professional. firefox keeps saying server can not find and then it gives an example of what web page i am trying to go to what can i do to fix it. the other card that was in the computer was an ethernet card which looked like a modem because the slot was big enough for the phone line to go into :cry:

Are you sure it's not time to get a new computer? :)
userfriendly
n00b
n00b

check it

Postby cool005 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:02 am

you are not using right modem driver or try to change pci slot for modem..
cool005
n00b
n00b

New modem problem

Postby rasel1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:30 pm

First, on what DEVICE (dial-up modem or Network Interface Card) does the little yellow circle with a black mark show up on?

Second, when you RIGHT CLICK, select Properties, on that device in your Device Manager, what does the Device Status message say?

The little yellow circle that you are describing indicates that a device driver is not installed, or that the device has malfunctioned.
rasel1
n00b
n00b

Return to Misc Computer Problems