More harddrive problems =(

Misc computer stuff

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

More harddrive problems =(

Postby dheiniger » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:30 pm

ok guys, as i was trying things with my friends computer, i removed the HD from my dad's computer to try in his. It didnt work so i went to put it back into my dad's. Now the Hard drive wont even spin. What is wrong? Anyway, i've decided that it is broken. I tried a new HD and was going to put XP pro on it. It will reformat and put XP on there but before it goes to set up XP it restarts and makes me redo it all.... any ideas?
dheiniger
Desktop Support

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:40 pm

It is possible that when you removed the hard drive from your dad’s computer, the drive was damaged from electrostatic discharge. This is somewhat unlikely, but possible.

It is generally a bad idea to swap a hard drive (with an OS installed) with another computer; unless you plan on re-installing the OS. When you had the hard drive in your friend’s computer, was it recognized in the BIOS?

As for this new hard drive that you installed, there could be a few problems. The first that comes to mind is your installation media. At what point does the installer "restart"? Are there any error messages? I also have to wonder about the integrity of your media. If you have a burned or "borrowed" copy of XP it is possible that your "borrowed" copy of XP is missing some required files. If I were you I would probably try to install XP with that CD on another computer, to see if the media is at fault. Of course I’m not saying that you have a pirate copy of XP, just throwing out some possibilities.

Since you said that you could successfully format this hard drive, this tells us that this hard drive is functional. This leads me to believe even more that the problem deals with your installation media. If you’re still having this problem, post back telling us (me) exactly when it restarts during the installation and any error messages that occur.

scott
Mod
Mod

Postby dheiniger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:06 pm

ok, thanks for all of your help. I used a different windows XP cd for my friends computer and now it works fine. It was missing a file but i copied it from my computer and put it onto his and now his works fine. I finally found another hard drive that worked so i reformatted it and now his computer is back up and running. Unfortunatley he lost all of his stuff but at least he has a computer again. So thanks again for all of your help.
dheiniger
Desktop Support

Return to Misc Computer Problems