Shutdown Problem

Misc computer stuff

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Shutdown Problem

Postby Stlb1090 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:18 am

I just built a computer and i ran into a prob. when shutting down the computer hangs on the saving your settings screen. right when that happens i hear a click from the hard drive and then the power light on the front of the computer starts blinking. I thought it might be a hard drive problem so i replaced it with a working western digital and reinstalled windows. right after installation i tried a shut down (before install all the drivers) and it shut down normally. after installing all the windows updates and drivers were installed the problem came back on the new hard drive.
I have tried all sorts of fixes such like turning off the welcome screen and still it hangs. Im hoping someone can help me. I built this for a friend in AK and i need to send it to him ASAP.
If anyone has and ideas please respond.
Stlb1090
Desktop Support

Postby Stlb1090 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:22 am

I forgot to mention that the motherboard is a Asus A7V880
with a PATA western digital 80 gig hard drive.
Stlb1090
Desktop Support

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:33 pm

Go into your BIOS and make sure advanced power management is configured properly.

Heres a link, I know it says its for win2k, but it should work for XP or at least give you an idea as to what the problem is. Heres a quote from the link:
MORE INFORMATION
Windows 2000 uses various tests to determine whether APM support should be installed. On some computers, APM can cause problems. Symptoms of problems caused by APM may include:
• An inability to shut down the computer.
• Problems with devices after resuming from Standby mode.
• General stability problems with power management.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q242495/

Most likely though, I would say you have it disabled in your BIOS.
Mod
Mod

Return to Misc Computer Problems