This is unbelievable. Turning ur PC off with ur mobile...

Misc computer stuff

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

This is unbelievable. Turning ur PC off with ur mobile...

Postby cma7 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:39 pm

I recently bought a Nokia 6630. Awesome phone. Been using it a lot with my PC at work - little did I know it would be the cause of this problem.

The past few weeks i've been getting increasingly fustrated with my Dell Precision 340 just randomly shutting down. No warning, no nothing. Just a 'click' and the computer turns off. I get an orange flashy light on the power button - which does nothing when I press it, monitor obviously goes on standby and none of the buttons work on my keyboard or mouse. This happened today & by (what I thought) some coincidence i recieved a txt msg at exactly the same time. My phone was placed on my tower. After the cursing etc I turned back on my pc (have to unplugg the bstd thing first) and booted up. I was then surfing the web on my phone & placed it on top of my tower while I enterd my login details.. and 'click'. Off it went. I couldn't belive it, so i tried it again. Waited a bit longer this time, set up phone to browse, "connection must be made. Continue?" Placed phone on PC, pressed YES on phone aaaand.. 'click'!

Now what worries me most is this is something i place next to my ear 15 times a day. And it turns my bl**dy computer off!!! At least i know the problem now. No more data cable for me though :(.

If there's anyone else out there that has ever heard of this - please let me know! And how do i go about letting Dell know? Surely they'd find this interesting?

Seyemai
cma7
n00b
n00b

Postby nemethjames1 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:21 pm

i had an old apple that would shut off with my tv remote :lol:
nemethjames1
Desktop Support

Postby ShockwaveCS » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:54 pm

nemethjames1 wrote:i had an old apple that would shut off with my tv remote :lol:

well as you may know. tv remote's send a high frequency noise to shut off TV's ...so maybe you had infrared??? i have heard of that happening...
ShockwaveCS
n00b
n00b

Postby cma7 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:04 am

no infrared on this bad boy. for some reason..
cma7
n00b
n00b

Return to Misc Computer Problems