win 98 se and monitor settings

Misc computer stuff

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

win 98 se and monitor settings

Postby unclej » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:44 pm

i've done a good bit of research the last few days and simply can't find a solution to this problem. i recently acquired an older hp pavillion that came out of the box running windows xp. it had a lot of problems so i re-formatted and partitioned the hard drive and installed win 98 se because that's what i have on a couple of other computers and it does everything i need. my problem is the monitor settings. in the control panel i've got two choices..16 color or 2 color. i've downloaded and installed several versions of the drivers for this monitor and operating system and they just don't work. i've removed it from the device manager and re-installed it and that doesn't work. and that's all i know how to do. any suggestions?

thanks
unclej
unclej
n00b
n00b

Postby SSE4 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Have you tried downloading all the latest drivers for your VGA and checking for conflicts in the system hardware? I would also suggest a virus scan.
SSE4
Desktop Support

Postby unclej » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:35 pm

yeah, i've installed several new versions of the drivers and there's no conflict listed. since i had re-formatted i didn't think to check for viruses and i installed zone alarm before i ever went on line so that's probably not going to be it but it sure won't hurt to run a scan.

thanks

edited to say: well,i just went to the intel site and found a download dealing with window's downgrades and it worked perfectly so problem solved.
unclej
n00b
n00b

You gotta be kidding

Postby brutus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:29 am

Did you really expect instant hi res graphics.
Are you putting us on to think you don't need a graphics card like
ATI.com
:lol:
several versions of the drivers for this monitor
I find this hard to beleive that you went through this.
:cry:
So do some more splaining.I don't like Joke posts.
edited to say: well,i just went to the intel site and found a download dealing with window's downgrades and it worked perfectly so problem solved.
BS :lol:
None of this has made sense.
:twisted:
brutus
Level 3 Tech

Postby SSE4 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:12 am

unclej wrote:yeah, i've installed several new versions of the drivers and there's no conflict listed. since i had re-formatted i didn't think to check for viruses and i installed zone alarm before i ever went on line so that's probably not going to be it but it sure won't hurt to run a scan.

thanks

That's good. I'll need to keep this in mind for future problems of this type.
SSE4
Desktop Support

Postby unclej » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:26 am

brutus, i'm assuming that your jibes and questions are good natured so i'll answer. i've just recently started working on my own computers and don't have the knowledge base that most of you do. i learn things by reading and by trial and error. finding information on working in bios, re-formatting and partitioning is easy to find. step by step instructions on things like why the monitor's resolution wasn't right are not so easy to find.

i did indeed download several drivers thinking this would resolve the problem. i'm hard headed like that. i did it over several days. i'm tenacious like that. i finally got frustrated enough to ask for help and posted here but while i was waiting for info i posed the same question to the hewlett packard tech people and they sent me the link to the intel download. and it worked.

so this wasn't a "joke" post at all. just part of a relative newcomer's learning process.

by the way, this was the download that cured it if anyone else should be experiencing the same problem:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts ... ductID=178
unclej
n00b
n00b

Ok but

Postby brutus » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:03 am

unclej wrote:brutus, i'm assuming that your jibes and questions are good natured so i'll answer. i've just recently started working on my own computers and don't have the knowledge base that most of you do. i learn things by reading and by trial and error. finding information on working in bios, re-formatting and partitioning is easy to find. step by step instructions on things like why the monitor's resolution wasn't right are not so easy to find.

i did indeed download several drivers thinking this would resolve the problem. i'm hard headed like that. i did it over several days. i'm tenacious like that. i finally got frustrated enough to ask for help and posted here but while i was waiting for info i posed the same question to the hewlett packard tech people and they sent me the link to the intel download. and it worked.

so this wasn't a "joke" post at all. just part of a relative newcomer's learning process.

by the way, this was the download that cured it if anyone else should be experiencing the same problem:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts ... ductID=178

This kind of ? should not be have to be asked.
Do you not understand that a new install will then need the internal or pci or agp card driver disk after Windows starts you with 16 col vga.
So what source of video is yours ?
I don't really think your ready for this so fast.
What are u useing to post,not 640x480 16 col i bet.
:wink:
No HP sent you where there video drivers dl was.
What happend to the original installation cd ?
You are very confussing.sorry.
This post was ass backwards.
:roll:
brutus
Level 3 Tech

Postby unclej » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:35 pm

brutus, you and i need to get something straight..if i ask a question here it's because i've exhausted every other avenue that i know to search. if you find me confusing it's because you're either not reading my question thoroughly because you're looking for an excuse to be a jerk or you don't actually understand as much as you'd like people to believe you do.

Do you not understand that a new install will then need the internal or pci or agp card driver disk after Windows starts you with 16 col vga.

see answer above..if i understood i wouldn't be here asking.

so do me a favor..if i should have occasion to ask another question on this forum either ignore it or give me a helpful answer.

thanks
unclej
unclej
n00b
n00b

Postby ajs » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:13 pm

I apologize for brutus, unclej. Thread closed.
ajs
Mod
Mod

Return to Misc Computer Problems