I miss my games :(

Misc computer stuff

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

I miss my games :(

Postby bigdog » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:50 pm

Ok, about 6 months ago my computer started hanging up (freezing) after playing star wars galexies online. About 4 months ago I started having to leave my computer on because if I turned it off overnight I would have to reboot several times to get the screen to clear up to normal desktop appearance. About 3 months ago I decided to reformat and see if it would help doing a clean install-it didn't. Then my offline games started to freeze up my computer(morrowing-tachyon-deltaforce ect)and by freezing I mean my keyboard wouldn't work at all -I couldn't even get the number lock or the caps lock to change . About 3 months ago I bought a new(cheap) keyboard to see if it would help but nope it didn't.So I just ordered a new agp radeon 128 mgb video card and its due in in 2 days hopefully. Oh by the way if I leave the computer on it works ok for surfing the internet playing neopets and doing my take-home work in ms word . I have a 1.2 gig athlon with 384 ram windows me running an nvidea gforce 2 64 mgb card.
Will the video card heal the computer or is it some kind of peripherial imput problem? All my friends who usually come to me for computer advice claim it has to be the video card but i'm only 50-50% on the idea myself.
Thanks in advance.
Tim
bigdog
n00b
n00b

Postby Sticky_Keyboard » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:00 am

I would have to agree that it sounds most likely to be the video card. Do you get random images or distortions while playing you games and then the computer locks up :?:

Periphs to me are simply out of the question. I have strong doubts your keyboard would cause you entire computer to lock up like that. Let me know if the video card clears up the problem.

Also, your references of having to reboot the computer several to get the screen to clear up really just add to the wrap sheet of the video card.

P.S. You might want to invest in some more RAM as well.
Sticky_Keyboard
n00b
n00b

Postby bigdog » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:09 am

Thanks for easing my mind a little. I'll install the card and get back with you all around tuesday if it comes in on time. I bought it from tiger direct.
:D Tim :D
bigdog
n00b
n00b

Postby SSE4 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:42 am

When you say freeze do you mean that the computer completely freezes? (Not just the keyboard output/computer input ) but the screen or game freeze too? Did you try looking for video drivers and updated drivers for other hardware? It may be likely that the VGA is to blame if the drivers are conflicting with Windows Miserable Edition and causing the system to hang. It could also be the processor. How full is your HDD? Did you install anything prior to the system beginning to freeze up? It could also be memory. Unfortunately there are many problems that could be potential causes of this, but I guess we'll see when the VGA comes in. It should clear up the problem.
SSE4
Desktop Support

Postby Emo185 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:07 am

sounds like a video card fault....

you should have tried upgradiing your video card drivers (as well as any other drivers that need updating) as this could hav fixed the problem.

but since your getting a new one it don't entirely matter now - let us know if it works when you get ur new video card.
Emo185
End-Loser
End-Loser

I disagree

Postby brutus » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:38 pm

Emo185 wrote:sounds like a video card fault....

you should have tried upgradiing your video card drivers (as well as any other drivers that need updating) as this could hav fixed the problem.

but since your getting a new one it don't entirely matter now - let us know if it works when you get ur new video card.

I see this more of a "learning how" problem.The current video source was never name.But,
A video card affects what you see,not what you do.
I doubt if this new card is the sollution.
You have to learn how to.
Cheap KBD lol. So lets start here. :wink:
=========================================
But anyone who posts here isn't doing that bad are they ? :?: :?:
:lol:
brutus
Level 3 Tech

Return to Misc Computer Problems