New Users Please Read - How to ask questions

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

New Users Please Read - How to ask questions

Postby kostyanj » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:11 pm

Asking questions in a technical forum can be a very daunting task, if the question isn't specific enough, you might not get the answer you want, if it is too specific, you might not get an answer at all.

I'm going to outline a few simple guidelines to follow.

Specifics
Be very specific in your question, list details such as hardware, OS, settings, etc. We love to work for answers to questions, but we don't like to ask more questions to give answers. So please be as specific as possible.

Language
Please use proper punctuation, grammar, capitilization, etc. I don't want to see 1337 speak on this board unless it's a joke in general off topic section.

Subject
Please use the subject field responsibly. It is a very powerfull tool. If your question is on how to compile a linux kernel, please write "Compiling Linux Kernel" rather than "Linux Question". It'll make things easier for indexing and searching, and answering your questions.

If anyone wants to add to this tutorial, please PM me.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby TOP1yuiop » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:43 pm

finally, now nobody will have an exuse for asking a question stupidly. 8)
TOP1yuiop
Network Administrator
Network Administrator

Postby Emo185 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:30 am

nice, now i know where to look if i get stuck...(on thinking on how to ask questions).
Emo185
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby Eric Bland » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:41 am

When asking questions it helps to be polite, and sincere. No one owes you an explanation or response. People help benefit others with their knowledge, experience, and time by answering questions. It is always good to learn from others, and help others learn!

Eric Bland
n00b
n00b

Re: New Users Please Read - How to ask questions

Postby kvkmurthy234 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:22 am

Hello, I have just joined today in this forum.The discussionon the topic New Users Please Read - How to Ask questions is a guideline and should be used by everyone.Thanks.
kvkmurthy234
n00b
n00b

Return to General Off Topic