Careers in the Computer Industry

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Careers in the Computer Industry

Postby Rommel » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:45 am

Hey guys, I was wondering what are some career options in the Computer industry. What are the educational requirements usually? average pay? job availability? all that stuff. im a freshman in high school. so yeah. i have pretty good classes, i can pull off any grade stuff: Pre-AP Geometry, Debate, Pre-AP English 1, Keyboarding, Pre-AP World Geography, Pre-AP Biology, Pre-AP BCIS 1, and Pre-AP Spanish 2. I don't know why they make me take Spanish. I've known it for a while now. Don't want to take a different language though. already have credits invested in it. so...fill me in, por favor.
Rommel
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby TOP1yuiop » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:24 am

lol wow, im not claiming to be an expert but the field is so wide i can only give you some general categories. First there are the guys who work with the electronics by hand, commonly known as electricians or computer technicians. Then there are the guys who design these electronic things. Next people who build the equipment to manufacture electronics. the there are the people who retail electronics (best buy, frys, curcuit city...).
No computers are useful if they have nothing to do right? well thats where the programmers come in, they are the ones who really make computers useful. Lastly you have the people who work with the electronics to do thing for the work (make things, organize things, program, do lab work, and use them for mathematical processes). So in the end it kinda goes in a circle and repeats itself, which in turn creates the product paradox for us, we buy each new thing that thy think up of and sometimes get jobs and continuing this process by doing so.

also those classes that you take are going to be used to learn elemaentary skills and to get into college where you refine them, so as long as you take yor smart classes and get the credits you need (along with extra-curricular activities, which are very important) you can pretty much get into most collgeges. so don't worry just keep on the track you are on. O and on the language classes, most colleges require 2 years of a language and some reguuire 4.
TOP1yuiop
Network Administrator
Network Administrator

Postby Rommel » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:25 pm

i'll have 5 years of lang. and 5 of math....then 4 of sci. and of social studies. i'm doubling up lang in senior year and math in sophmore. also...what about the money!?!??!?!
Rommel
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:09 pm

Rommel wrote:i'll have 5 years of lang. and 5 of math....then 4 of sci. and of social studies. i'm doubling up lang in senior year and math in sophmore. also...what about the money!?!??!?!

http://www.computer-schools.info/articl ... y-job.html

http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/v ... 8/fid-6886

A few links, you know google is a pretty useful tool :wink:
Mod
Mod

Postby Rommel » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:55 pm

google isn't my friend. i never find what i want. never.
Rommel
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby 127.0.0.1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:15 pm

Rommel wrote:google isn't my friend. i never find what i want. never.

well I say you need to visit the following link then: 8)
Be sure to pay special attention to the "search help" section! :D

http://www.google.com/help/
Mod
Mod

Postby redhat » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:50 pm

Rommel wrote:google isn't my friend. i never find what i want. never.

google is the best search engine, go to its advanced search options and try searching.........
redhat
n00b
n00b

Postby Daedalus » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:19 am

I wonder how much they are paying you to say that :D
Daedalus
Power User
Power User

Postby TOP1yuiop » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:31 am

lol i wish they would pay me *cough cough jobsforum cough cough*
TOP1yuiop
Network Administrator
Network Administrator

Careers

Postby Eric Bland » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:23 am

The job you get usually depends on your experience and/or education. There are a few different majors in computers. They range from Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Computer Engineering, and more. There are also many technical schools to attend where you can get certified for various skills in networking, support, and many more. The jobs range from programmers, support, webmasters, and many more. It all depends what field and path you want to take.

Eric Bland
n00b
n00b

Return to Jobs