Need Job!

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Need Job!

Postby adamorris » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:40 pm

Anyone in the Houston area? Well, I am and I have been looking for a job in the IT field for about 3 months and have had no luck. I work a crappy job right now doing billing and stuff for a doctor, but working here has given me the opportunity to work on computer's, troubleshoot and fix them. I have been doing a little contract work setting up users on a network with NT server 4 and about 15 users. I am finishing up my associates degree in networking and have a good looking resume even though I dont much formal experience. I dont really have the experience that I need but I was wondering if there were any tricks I should know about when looking for a job in the Tech field. Basically I want to get my foot in the door, doesn't have to be something that pays awesome at first but at least in the mid 20's. I have looked at all the online job boards that I can and even staffing agencies, which by the way are too much of a hassle to even deal with. I have applied to about 50 or so jobs, almost all online, and have only had a couple responses. Any ideas would help, thanks!
adamorris
n00b
n00b

Postby kostyanj » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:52 pm

I don't believe in applying online unless you're way overqualified for the job. When I posted a job opening online, i got over 2000 responses in 2 days. It's almost impossible to sit there and sift through that many resumes. Your best bet is to look in the paper or other ways besides online.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby adamorris » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:31 pm

The paper here sucks! Ughh! Most of the jobs are not IT, and lots of companies are going all online, they dont want people to come in and apply or fax in resumes anymore. I am at a loss here, I work full time and go to school full time and dont really know what to do. I am getting married in December and need something that pays more. I dont really have the contacts either. I guess it's mainly about who you know huh? Well, I'll keep looking in the paper and everywhere else. Thanks for your reply and if you ahve any other suggestions go ahead and post em! I will be on almost everyday!
adamorris
n00b
n00b

Postby serpentracer » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:04 pm

maybe you can find this site of use
http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/resumepos ... mepost.htm
serpentracer
n00b
n00b

Postby ajs » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:34 pm

http://www.job-search-engine.com/ < -- Search alot of engines at once.
ajs
Mod
Mod

Return to Jobs