Where to start a career

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Where to start a career

Postby insecurepc » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:07 pm

After this year I have one left then I'll go to the local college (for computer science) since I can't afford a University. What are types of starting jobs I should expect after jr college? What about the type of companies hiring?

I do pc repair but not a cert yet. That will be later this month :) And I have exposure to a bunch of stuff from my part time job with a lan, wireless AP and a t-1 for internet. I don't count the linux stuff yet because I don't know enought yet that I would want it on my resume. I only know enough to get by barely on linux but i learn abit each week.
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:37 pm

With that kind of experience and the way the job market is today, I would probably hire you for help desk, w/ an associate's degree, you can expect the job to start somewhere in the ballpark of 20 - 25k/year. Of course there are exceptions to every rule. I got very lucky with my job and got it w/o any type of formal university/college education. But then again, I had connections to the company and I knew the sh*t I was supposed to know for the job.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby insecurepc » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:49 pm

What did they want you to know for the job and what were the duties? I'd like to skip college but I know if I don't go after school, I may never go.
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:52 pm

My situation was a unique one though. I had plenty of experience but no formal degree of any sort. I ended up getting a job as a jr. admin and within 3 months demanded that they either make me the admin or I'm out of there, so my boss thought about it, and finally decided to give me the admin position. The only reason it happened like that was because the IT manager position opened up and the former admin moved up so I moved up. Once again, I knew my boss before I started the job, and I just got lucky.

What did they want me to know?
Well they wanted me to be comfortable setting up users, permissions, rights in both NDS and ADS; they wanted me to be able to setup Samba shares on a linux box; set up squid proxy servers; FTP, etc. I don't remember all the little things. But even jr admins have a lot of duties to fufill.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby insecurepc » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:01 am

So did they want any industry specific experience like customer service, manufacturing, health stuff, tranportation like trucking, etc....

Or working knowledge of spec's on thier busness like iso or ois 9000 stuff, the health insurance thing clintion passed, truck standards and restrictions etc....
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:03 am

They didn't really want industry specific experience as much as computer experience. I've worked in many different industries but mostly on the same platforms and hardware.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby insecurepc » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:13 am

So what kinda stuff they make? anything actually fun or interesting?
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:14 am

They're a shipping company. Huge, but my office is pretty small, i have to administer about 4 -500 users.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby insecurepc » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:27 am

Shipping like ships or trucks, ups, or trains, or something else? i got a friend who could use some general info on ups, he's writing a paper and is going for a job this summer.
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:28 am

Shipping as in waterway, train, freight, etc. They also own a cruise line and a bunch of other things. www.nykline.com
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Return to Jobs