Best personal firewall ?

Firewalls

Moderator: 127.0.0.1

Best personal firewall ?

Postby insecurepc » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:22 pm

Since I now know that xp firewall is only one way ( and then not very good) , what other products protect in both directions and which is better? zonealarm, norton, mcafee, other? and why?
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:25 pm

Personally, the new version of ZonAlarm is pretty good, it's pretty configurable and gets the job done. I personally would rather go with a firewall appliance than a software firewall. But if you must go with a software firewall, I would use either Zone Alarm, Black Ice, or Norton.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Re: Best personal firewall ?

Postby wacky-sung » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:29 pm

insecurepc wrote:Since I now know that xp firewall is only one way ( and then not very good) , what other products protect in both directions and which is better? zonealarm, norton, mcafee, other? and why?

A good firewall is meant for packet filter and therefore both for incoming and outgoing.Oh pls don't use Zonealarm cos it has too many vulerability found.If you been using around those software firewalls you will realise which suit you the best and their stability.I don't like to use Norton cos too many false alarms.try sygate,outpost or tiny software firewall is a good choice.If you wanna know more about it you can go to http://www.download.com to find out how people think about each individual firewall.
wacky-sung
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby insecurepc » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:45 pm

I was reading the firewall sticky and it reminded me of a problem at my work at the school. The Jr. high kids have a intranet (apache 1.3) on Linux box. There is no IDS on the box so we have to redo the box every once in while. What is a cheap or free IDS for linux that is powerful in activating preset thresholds via email, screen, alarms of some kind?
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:53 pm

By IDS, I take you mean Intrusion Detection System. Well, in that case there's a few available for linux. Two of the best out there, that i've used have to be Snort and Tripwire. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask on this board.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby insecurepc » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:12 am

Do you have a preference between tripwire and snort? Then why?
insecurepc
End-Loser
End-Loser

Postby kostyanj » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:14 am

I prefer Snort only because I've worked with it longer than I have with tripwire.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:55 am

Personally if i never had a router i wud have to go with the new zone alarm pro 2004 version or mcafee 2004 version 8 because both ov these firewalls are very stable and they dont lag your machine, also there are very easy to configure and set up manually .... well these 2 firewalls set themselves up.... BUT my friend has the new zonealarm pro and i configured it for him over netmeeting and when we played red alert 2 over the internet it was slowing his connection down dramitcally it was like having a dial up connection so overall i wud have to give zone alarm pro a 7/10 and mcafee 9/10 and these r the only 2 i recomend

Postby Daedalus » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:07 am

hmm, I've had a very different reaction with ZAP Pro and Broadband. I have Cable via Comcast with ZAP and I get very high connection speeds. Downloads up to 1.2MBps and uploads of 768KBps. I guess its just different areas
Daedalus
Power User
Power User

Postby kostyanj » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:11 am

It all depends on your config of ZoneAlarm. I personally hate it. I don't believe in software firewalls. I have a "hardware" firewall doing filtering for me.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Daedalus » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:15 am

who is it by? I heard the Cisco ones are pretty good. I'm working on my CCNA right now
Daedalus
Power User
Power User

Postby kostyanj » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:16 am

I have a PIX firewall. I would reccomend to anyone but it takes a bit of knowledge to get it up and running. Good luck on your CCNA.
kostyanj
Admin
Admin

Postby Daedalus » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:31 am

thanks, 1400 pages. I have a long way to go
Daedalus
Power User
Power User

Postby symphonyx87 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:51 pm

I would personally recommend staying AWAY from Sygate Personal Firewall. One of my friends recommended it to me, and I took them up on it. It worked just dandy for a while, but then all of a sudden it freaked out, and ended up blocking everything in or out, INCLUDING my ISP!. We couldn't figure out why we had no access to the internet, as our modem showed that we were connected. My padre called 'em up and bitched at them, only to be told that their service was being rejected by a "SYGATE something or other".
-brenden
symphonyx87
n00b
n00b

Postby neptunian » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:16 am

from my personal experience i would say that Tiny Personal Firewall is the easiest and good one.It gives you complete control over ur pc.It shows all current actions going on in the pc on all ports and who all r acessing it.Norton or Mcafee is also an option but it makes the system slow.for high end systems they r okay.Zonealarm crashes often and is full of bugs. :)
neptunian
n00b
n00b

Next

Return to Firewalls